Karaiskakio Foundation actively pursues research and innovation aiming to constantly upgrade and expand its services, introduce new technology and knowledge as well as secure financial support through grants, contributing to its continuing development and long-term sustainability. To this end the Center for the Study of Haematological Malignancies (CSHM) was founded in 2008 as the main research pillar of Karaiskakio Foundation. CSHM had already establish collaborations with world class academic partners from research institutions in Cyprus and abroad, such as the University of Cyprus, the University of Cambridge, the University of Surrey, the University of Athens and the Univeristy of Patras. CSHM aims to be established as a state-of-the-art, biomedical research center, focusing on the fields of haematoncology and immunology, while providing scientific support to the continuing development of the diagnostic laboratories thus ensuring the best possible services for the patients.
1. Gene expression changes in HLA mismatched mixed lymphocyte cultures reveal genes associated with allorecognition, V. Nicolaidou1, C. Stylianou2, L. Koumas, G. S. Vassiliou, K. B. Bodman-Smith & P. Costeas, Tissue Antigens. 2015 Apr;85(4):267-77.
2. The EUTOS population-based registry: Incidence and clinical characteristics of 2 904 CML patients in twenty European Countries, Leukemia. 2015 Mar 18. doi: 10.1038/leu.2015.73. [Epub ahead of print]
3. cDNA synthesis for BCR-ABL1 detection at the MMR level: the importance of using the appropriate kit. Chi J, Pierides C, Mitsidou A, Miltiadou A, Gerasimou P, Costeas P. Biol Proced Online. 2015 Feb 9;17(1):4. doi: 10.1186/s12575-015-0014-x. eCollection 2015.
4. A sensitive detection method for MPLW515L or MPLW515K mutation in myeloproliferative disorders. Jianxiang Chi, Chryso Pierides, Andrie Mitsidou, Andrie Miltiadou, Petroula, Gerasimou, Katerina Nicolaou and Paul Costeas. European Journal of Experimental Biology, 2014, 4(5):33-36
5. Characterization of gene mutations and copy number changes in acute myeloid leukemia using a rapid target enrichment protocol. Bolli N, Manes N, McKerrell T, Chi J, Park N, Gundem G, Quail MA, Sathiaseelan V, Herman B, Crawley C, Craig JI, Conte N, Grove C, Papaemmanuil E, Campbell PJ, Varela I, Costeas P, Vassiliou GS. Haematologica. 2015 Feb;100(2):214-22. Epub 2014 Nov 7.
6. Calreticulin mutations in myeloproliferative neoplasms and new methodology for their detection and monitoring. Chi J, Manoloukos M, Pierides C, Nicolaidou V, Nicolaou K, Kleopa M, Vassiliou G, Costeas P. Ann Hematol. 2015 Mar;94(3):399-408. Epub 2014 Oct 29.
7. Calreticulin gene exon 9 frameshift mutations in patients with thrombocytosis. Chi J, Nicolaou KA, Nicolaidou V, Koumas L, Mitsidou A, Pierides C, Manoloukos M, Barbouti K, Melanthiou F, Prokopiou C, Vassiliou GS, Costeas P. Leukemia. 2014 May;28(5):1152-4. Epub 2013 Dec 24.
8. Detailed molecular characterisation of acute myeloid leukaemia with a normal karyotype using targeted DNA capture. Conte N, Varela I, Grove C, Manes N, Yusa K, Moreno T, Segonds-Pichon A, Bench A, Gudgin E, Herman B, Bolli N, Ellis P, Haddad D, Costeas P, Rad R, Scott M, Huntly B, Bradley A, Vassiliou GS. Leukemia. 2013 Sep;27(9):1820-5. Epub 2013 Apr 18.
9. Induction of discrete apoptotic pathways by bromo-substituted indirubin derivatives in invasive breast cancer cells. Nicolaou KA, Liapis V, Evdokiou A, Constantinou C, Magiatis P, Skaltsounis AL, Koumas L, Costeas PA, Constantinou AI. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012 Aug 17;425(1):76-82. Epub 2012 Jul 20.
10. Homocysteine levels and MTHFR polymorphisms in young patients with acute myocardial infarction: a case control study. Eftychiou C, Antoniades L, Makri L, Koumas L, Costeas PA, Kyriakou E, Nicolaides E, Papadogiannis D. Hellenic J Cardiol. 2012 May-Jun;53(3):189-94.
11. Donors as research subjects: a challenge. King R, Schmidt AH, Costeas P, Egeland T. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2012 Apr;47(4):605-6. Epub 2011 Jun 13.
12. Unrelated hematopoietic stem cell donors as research subjects. King RJ, Confer DL, Greinix HT, Halter J, Horowitz M, Schmidt AH, Costeas P, Shaw B, Egeland T; Ethics and Clinical Working Groups of World Marrow Donor Association. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2011 Jan;46(1):10-3. Epub 2010 Mar 1.
13. Haematopoietic stem cell donor registries: World Marrow Donor Association recommendations for evaluation of donor health. Sacchi N, Costeas P, Hartwell L, Hurley CK, Raffoux C, Rosenmayr A, Greinix H; Quality Assurance and Clinical Working Groups of the World Marrow Donor Association. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2008 Jul;42(1):9-14. doi: 10.1038/bmt.2008.76. Epub 2008 Mar 24.
14. Th2/Th3 cytokine genotypes are associated with pregnancy loss. Costeas PA, Koumouli A, Giantsiou-Kyriakou A, Papaloizou A, Koumas L. Hum Immunol. 2004 Feb;65(2):135-41.
15. Genetic assessment of cardiovascular risk factors in the Greek Cypriot population. Koumas L, Costeas PA, Papaloizou A, Giantsiou-Kyriakou A. Thromb Res. 2003;112(3):143-6.
16. Cytokine polymorphism frequencies in the Greek Cypriot population. Costeas PA, Koumas L, Koumouli A, Kyriakou-Giantsiou A, Papaloizou A. Eur J Immunogenet. 2003 Oct;30(5):341-3.